First United Methodist Church in Belmont, NC has a staff opening for a Director of Music. This staff person works in partnership with the pastor, other staff and laity of the congregation to oversee the church’s entire music ministry, integral to our worship and common life, connecting us to God and forming us as a people of praise. The ministry includes choral ensembles for all ages, chime/handbell ensembles for all ages, and an early service worship team. We offer two, growing, dynamic services on Sundays: an early, acoustic/contemporary service, and a later service centered on traditional liturgy and sacred choral music. First UMC is a 600 member church striving to live out our mission to “be more like Jesus Christ for our community and beyond.” We are blessed to have many gifted, committed musicians in our congregation. Located in one of the fastest growing communities in the Charlotte, NC area, we are thriving as we offer the good news and serve our community.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in a relevant musical discipline as well as experience leading and serving in a United Methodist congregation. The candidate will lead and direct musical ensembles and play both piano and organ. The ideal candidate should also have:
- A lively and joyful commitment to the Christian faith. The ability to model faithfully the core values of our congregation: joy, generosity, care and compassion, a focus on relationships and active, curious faith.
- The ability to relate compassionately with all persons whom the Church serves.
- The ability to equip and empower laity of varied abilities in musical service and leadership of our congregation.
- A creative, innovative, entrepreneurial spirit, rooted in the traditions of historic Christian worship and scripture.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Maturity, with knowledge and practical experience of maintaining healthy boundaries.
Submit resume with cover letter and professional references to the Rev. George Ragsdale at email@example.com This is a full time, salaried position. Salary is competitive and is commensurate with qualifications and experience. We are open to alternative options for staffing this ministry should the right person(s) present themselves. Deacons are welcomed and encouraged to apply.