The goal of the Lester L. Carpenter Scholarship is to honor the wishes of Mr. and Mrs. Lester Carpenter with their gift to the First United Methodist Church, Belmont, NC. They were active long-time members of FUMC in Belmont. As requested by Mr. Carpenter in his will, a scholarship was established and will provide financial assistance for those students desiring to attend college, who demonstrate a legitimate financial need to support, pay, or defray the costs of tuition, room and board, books, and other educational related expenses.
The scholarship program is administered by our Church Endowment Committee. The committee members are: Melinda Russell, Cindy Goins, Kristie Marr, Calvin Harris, Laura Henkel, Quanna McAlister, Amanda Beaty and Liz Gray. The Application for the Lester Carpenter Scholarship will be managed and maintained by the Committee. A yearly review and update to the Application process will be made by the Committee.
The funding for the scholarships is taken from the Lester Carpenter Endowment Fund as maintained by the United Methodist Foundation of Western North Carolina. The funding of the yearly scholarships is based on criteria established by our Endowment Committee based on the year-end fund balance; thus, the scholarship amount available varies from year to year. The committee reviews the fund balance at the beginning of each year and if the fund falls below $525,000, then scholarships will not be awarded for that year. The Endowment Committee has reviewed the Endowment Fund for 2020 and determined that seven (7) scholarships will be awarded at $2,200 per scholarship.
An application has been established to apply for the scholarship with the following criteria:
- Demonstration of Financial Need based upon application review by the Scholarship Committee and guidelines set forth within this document.
- A Member of the First United Methodist Church, Belmont OR a Student from South Point High School in Belmont, NC.
- A 2020 Graduating High School Senior with a minimum GPA of 2.5 or above.
Applications are evaluated using criteria set forth by the Committee that includes the following:
- Parent’s Annual Income
- Number of siblings in the home and ages (Under age 24)
- Number of siblings in college next year and ages (Under age 24)
- Service within the community, church, and beyond
- Any family hardships or unusual financial circumstances
- Plans for financing education
- Other scholarships or grants applied for or awarded
- Colleges or Technical Schools planning to attend/apply
- Reason for applying for the Lester Carpenter Scholarship
- Member of FUMC-Belmont
The Committee members will individually review each application and rate the candidate based upon a number scale as identified by the Committee. The scholarship recipients will be determined based upon overall score rankings by the committee members. Applicants who are members of First United Methodist Church receive additional points to determine their score.
Application Information and Deadlines
The application can be downloaded by clicking here.
It is requested that all Applications from eligible Members of First United Methodist Church Belmont be completed and submitted by Monday, April 6thto the following address:
First United Methodist Church
Attn: Lester Carpenter Scholarship Committee
807 South Point Road
Belmont, NC 28012
The recipients of the 2020 Lester L. Carpenter Scholarships will be announced during the Awards Night presentation at South Point High School that will be held on Tuesday, May 12th.
If there should be questions concerning the scholarship process please contact one of our Committee Members.