First United Methodist Church got its start in 1911 as “Main Street Methodist Church” under the Reverend J.A. Bowles. After meeting in tents and Belmont Central School for almost a year, a dedicated church building was completed on South Main Street in May 1912.
Over the years, the church grew and strengthened. In 1957, the name was officially changed to “First United Methodist,” which helped pave the way for the purchase of a new, expanded location on South Point Road in 1967. Construction began in May 1974, and on September 7, 1975, the first service was held in what is our current sanctuary.
We are blessed to have celebrated our Centennial in May 2012 (for further reading about that event and our history, click here). However, we still have so much more to do as we strive to be like Jesus Christ for our community and beyond. We are thankful to have such a warm, active, and thriving congregation – and hope that you’ll join us as we create more history together.